Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Reflections upon Diabetes(andJulia's Meme)

Sometimes it all gets overwhelming (this generally isn't because of a bad D-day).
Coworker: "So, Heidi, what DO you spend your money on? You must be loaded-you don't have a family,mortage, OR other things of that nature..."
What do I spend my money on? Copayments for meds, copayments for dr. appointments, a sizeable weekly paycheck cut for that medical insurance, low blood sugar treatments, assorted herbal remedies to assist with managing the D- and all the other monetary struggles of the single working person. Diabetes dictates one's career path, its the primary reason I haven't finished my BD by now.
They say diabetes makes you a stronger, better person. I think, the only (positive) thing diabetes ever did for me was to make me more compassionate towards the health struggles of others. To see the person-not the failures that got them into that situation. Isn't that the heart of true medicine- helping the patient? not blaming them for their disease..
Quote for the Day:
From Disease, I have learned much that Life could not have taught me any other way.
- Goethe
I think I would be a much better person without the diabetes...
(any good effects that may have come from D I could still learn somewhere along life's path)
Thyroid results came back low.
Go to fullsize image
Endo wants me to start taking Synthroid, once again. I was on it once, after the diabetes diagnosis (for about a year). Then (in my infinant teenage wisdom) I decided to stop, remarkably, my yearly tests have been normal. Except this last time. I had the thyroid antibodies at diagnosis, so I suppose it was only a matter of time before I needed it permanantly.
"You'll feel much less tired...and if you decide to get pregnant, its important to have normal levels.."
That's all fine with me- but I don't remember if it affects basal requirements?

Julia's Meme

1. Pretend you're stranded on a desert island. You already have shelter, water, batteries, an abundant food supply that doesn't revolve around coconuts and even a cabana boy/girl to minster to your, erm, needs. However, you need some intellectual entertainment. Give me your top five desert island:
Books
1. I want to go home! -Gordon Korman. (a kid book, but adults like 'em too. They're too funny)
2. Foxtrot(comics)
3. Zits! (comics)
4. Anne Rice books
5. My novel(when I get it published)

Movies
1.Flight of the Navigator
2. Complete dvd box set of ER(seasons 1-12)
3. Ladder 49
4. The Sound of Music
5. The Fugative


Albums (NOT compilations of your own making)
and tell me why these make the cut.
-Just give me a radio..


2. Now, pretend you won the lottery. It's a huge amount, although not sickeningly huge. After you've given away your chunk to charity, paid off all your bills, set up savings/trust funds for kids and self and given money to deserving family and friends, you're left with $5 million, which you must use to build a house. Where would it be? What would it look like? Tell me how you'd furnish it and then describe your first party there.

I'd build it in Switzerland, it'd be a chateau with all the basics of life(private movie theator, spa,pool, etc.) located close to a ski resort. Basically, big. I'd host a weekend diabetes conferance, but it'd all in be in English.(I don't speak French or German...) Everyone is invited, but you'd have to buy your own plane ticket (don't think I'd have much of the 5 million left over).


3. If you could have dinner with five people from history, living or dead, who would they be? What about five fictional characters? What would you serve at each dinner?
Abraham Lincoln
Neal Boortz
Nicole J. Baker
Ronald Reagon (pre Altzimers!)
Winston Churchill

Legolas-he's extroidinarily cute.(Went through a bleach-the-hair phase, when LOTR came out)
Garfield


I'm going to only serve ONE dinner, I hate cooking. Either that, or we'll just eat leftovers the other 4x!
Virginia Ham(Fried)
Corn on the Cob
Baked Potatoes
Chocolate Meringue Pie
Mint tea
4. Describe your least favourite and best characteristics. (are we talking about physical characteristics here?)
Least Favorite- I'm too short.REALLY too short. My 6'4 brother uses the top of my head as a elbow rest.
Best Characteristic- People automatically subtract 10-12 years off my actual age, so I get by with alot of stuff grown-up folks usually can't..lol.(And I'll be carded till I'm 50) I've been told its a wonderful thing to look young, maybe in 10 years I'll totally buy that.

5. And finally, answer James Lipton's Ten Questions:

What is your favorite word? Chocolate
What is your least favorite word? diabetes
What turns you on? Any guy in a silk,striped tie.
What turns you off? Old guys with goatees + ponytails.
What is your favorite curse word? don't curse.
What sound or noise do you love? the wind blowing over a body of water.
What sound or noise do you hate? belching/burping
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Journalism
What profession would you not like to do? undertaker!
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
"Well done, good and faithful servant."
(I do believe in Heaven, obviously)



No comments: