Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Signs of the New Semester

#1 My A&P prof(don't ask, the first go around was not a transfer worthy grade) is a Hungarian MD- PHD with a NIPRO insulin pump. Be still, my heart, life is so much weirder then fiction. I haven't told her yet of our unusual teacher-student bond, but she'll think its cool too,she's very much a people person.

#2 My psych class is ok, basically a repeat of everything I learned over the summer. It's going to be mind-numbingly boring(and easy). Thank goodness it's only going to be 2 hours,because if it went 3 I'd be psychotic. The instructor is not scintillating, or funny, or original. If it weren't for the required attendance policy(as in, you miss, your grade goes down) I would not be there.

#3 My Sociology prof, a venerable white haired gentleman, is anti-textbook + rages against them quite frequently(not endearing himself to the faculty, apparently). So he gives out 7+ handouts every class, to discuss next class. By semester's end, I will have a nice little book of handouts but at least I don't have to shell out $50+ for the book! This class will be interesting, but it goes to the very end(9:45 pm)and after almost 3 hours of sitting in class(no breaks) it would take an earthquake to keep me interested/alert at that hour.

Found out today that my SIL(the one who had pancreatitis) has acquired diabetes + is taking insulin. Why insulin(and not pills) I'm not sure. I also don't know whether her type is temporary(caused by the pancreatitis) or developing into type 1? guess I need to do some more reading about it. I'm going to try to help however I can(my vast store of knowledge, inflicted on her) someone else in the immediate family getting diabetes makes me feel a little weird, it's been a lonely (solo) disease for the past 10 years.

1 comment:

Lili said...

Pancreatitis usually causes a problem with insulin production, so insulin makes sense. In more severe cases, the person stops making insulin at all. So while it's not Type 1 or Type 2, it's most like Type 1.