Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Promise to Remember Us




Yo,it's me. I'm not a small,cute child with diabetes...or that awkward,shy teenager. But it's still type 1 diabetes...and I'm here for the same reason as everyone else,to raise funds & to show support for a cure.

So when you loudly announced, "Welcome,parents of children with diabetes!" I was not amused,what is everyone else,chopped liver? There are hundreds of grandparents,family,friends,and adult PWD here as well.They deserve mention.(perhaps it is par for the course,it's my first JDRF walk & I dunno what is standard) They are a vital part of the support team & the push for a cure too.

Despite that,it was a gorgeous April day,& we completed the walk (and I bolused perfectly for the food,awesome bgs).Then a member of the team tried to sell me on the idea of "going natural to get off insulin." Politely told him it wasn't possible & why. He didn't get it,though,(people walk for many reasons,& some people have litterally no clue what type 1 is)













Promise to remember all of us..from the cutest little kiddo shirt (with a "I'm going to eat you,Diabetes!" ) to the grandparent with their grandchild's handprints emblazoned on their walk tshirts.Because type 1 diabetes affects all of our lives,it's not just the 0-18 group.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

asskeeper said...

Heidi,
I so agree with you. I hate that the JDRF does not really do much for those of us adults with type 1.
Wendy

Unknown said...

Very well said Heidi... And you really got pitched an "off insulin" load AT THE JDRF WALK?! Wow. :-)

Cherise said...

I totally agree with you! Type 1 isn't just the 0-18 age group. Great post and great job walking.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm amazed at both the intro and then the schmuck who didn't seem to be aware of what he was participating in... Yes, agreed: it's not all about the children. Yes, they sell the per se story more effectively. But D-Kids Grow Up. The JDRF is starting to realize that more and are setting up Adult Type 1 outreach programs, but it's hardly enough at this point... We do what we can, though. Thanks for your partipation, Heidi, regardless of age.