Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Jackpot at the Endo's

Congratulations are in order.

Or not. Depends on which part of the appointment with my endocrinologist you witnessed.

On the one hand, I have broken the 8.0 barrier. (dropped from 8.4 to 7.9) On the other hand, it would have been better if I'd not had (2) 400's and 1 (500's) in the past week. I was sort of dissapointed, because I have had weeks of utterly stellar bgs otherwise and was hoping to have broken the 7.0 barrier. So no dancing on the exam table for me. Lowering an a1c is hard work.(impossible work)

And a recheck of my thyroid levels have turned out normal. Yay,yay! And it's time to get my eyes rechecked.(ugh,ugh)

And here's where I confess to being a slobby, no-good-at-keeping-complete-record-books PWD. Although I generally put in an effort the week before an appt. Add that to the practice of sometimes bolusing for meals/correcting via syringe, and not putting the carb count in my pump & the result is a very frustrated endo so I got the whole "we can't help you if you don't keep complete records," etc. It then turned to,"it's better but an average of 160 doesn't cut it if you want to have an a1c in the 6's and your average should be in the low 100's." And displeasure at my post-meal blood sugar being 310.

All in all, there were two minutes of feeling great about myself and 18 of mentally wishing I was 2,000 miles away. Exhausting doesn't describe it. It all needed to be said, for the purposes of the future plans,but more and more you just feel like your endo has turned into Dr. Jekyll from Dr.O'Awesome. Do, or do not-there is no try. Icing on the proverbial cake..news that I may need to switch from Apidra to Humalog (at some point in the future). What fun that will NOT be.(Humalog sticks around forever)

But coming home to this..



















courtesy of Diatribe (signed by the great James Hirsch himself) made the day slightly better. I am a winner.(if not at diabetes, at least at various contests)

9 comments:

Cara said...

Yay on the lower A1c!!! Woo-hoo! If I were there, I'd bake you a cake.... wait...that's kind of counter-productive, isn't it? :P

Unknown said...

Congrats on the A1C improvement - as you say, it's damn hard work. So celebrate!

Sorry that the balance of awesomeness vs. wish-I-weren't-here wasn't more heavy on the awesome side.

That book looks great! Please let us know how you like it.

George said...

Any improvment to your A1C is awesome! YOU ROCK!!!

And congrats on the win! Very cool

Anonymous said...

The D is always a struggle. If I stay below 7.0 the endo appointment is uplifting, but when I go to 7.2, I cannot wait to get the heck out of there. The whole mood of the appointment changes, not a good time.

Congrats on the improvement and I won't tell you the things to try for improvement as I am sure you know them all.

From a fellow nonlogger.

karend1

Katie said...

Congrats on the A1C improvement! While you were hoping for better, be proud of the progress you made! And enjoy the book!

JaimieH said...

Congrats on the A1c improvement! =)

Bet you will enjoy that book...

Lorraine of "This is Caleb..." said...

Good for you! What an accomplishment to achieve that kind of improvement!

HVS said...

thanks everyone! I am happy about the drop..haven't dropped by that much in awhile. Ready to resume plugging away at it.

Cherise said...

Great A1C!!!!! I'm glad your thyroid is participating...