Sunday, June 05, 2011

The DiabetiThon

The road stretches straight ahead
Miles and miles, off into the darkness
and yet it seems so oddly familiar
like an endless loop
for I am no hero,& I have been here before
drop-by-drop,counting the gallons lost
hole-by-hole, playing Connect-the-Dots with the scars
Diabetes: 5000 Me:0
seeking to lessen the damage
in this Diabeti-Marathon
I run to live
and my prize is being alive
for in this race,there is more taking then giving
kidneys
heart
eyesight
every other complication under the sun
Am I doing this right?
no one can tell
Although confirming my failures is easily done
and yet I think at least I'm 75/25
and good for many more rounds around the track
but the monotony is stifling
and I am tired to my core
day in,day out
it never ends
Can a human being live this way?
I want to believe in a cure
but the passage of time
jades the most enthusiastic of people
so I settle for survival
and I wait for the sun to come up
the diet coke to kick in
And then I see that I'm not the only one running this race.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

Pearlsa said...

That is beautiful. I love it

Celine said...

You are not alone. The track is full of people like us, running round and round. At least we can chat and share fast acting carbs :)

Scully said...

Such a good analogy that is right up my alley. I really like this!

Simon said...

Wow. A brilliant post Heidi.
Just brilliant.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Love it Heidi.