Monday, August 06, 2012

Hypo at Midnight

Fingers
dance along the console
Grabbing
rolls of glucose tabs
Popping
Into open mouths
Waiting (&waiting)
to relieve the shakes
to relieve the shakes.

This is how it was
This is how it is
This is how it must be

Until there's a cure.
Until there's a cure.
Until there's a cure.
(will I see a cure?)

Hypos
Flirting with disaster
Numbness
Spreading over body
Panic
Emptying the fridge
Rebound
Into stratosphere.

This is diabetes.
This is "control"
This is what it's like.

Better
Relatively steady
Always
Just a unit
Away
From the unknown

People have died
People die
People will die
(how is this controllable?)

wishing
For a day
no
Highs or lows
eating
Everything I want
being
What's considered normal

For me
For my diabetes friends
For my friends & family
For anyone who has ever been touched by diabetes,in any way,shape or form.

CURE.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Scully said...

I liked this, a lot!

Anonymous said...

This ia lovely, so simple but so emotional.