Friday, January 11, 2013

Dear DOC

I know you. We may live 2 or 15,000 miles apart...& may have never met, but I know you. We share playlists on Spotify,coo over baby/dog pictures on Instagram, share our A1C results on Facebook, tweet about the minutiae of our everyday lives on Twitter,entertain each other on YouTube & tell each other what to make for dinner via Pinterest. A conversation begun on one medium is continued on the next. Though we crisscross the globe, we are all connected via that disease we share...namely, diabetes. We are teachers,business people,entrepreneurs, librarians, doctors,nurses, a thousand different professions. We are parents,lovers, siblings,children,grandparents,aunts/uncles.We might have the same insulin pump,meter,pen,CGM,insulin,mode of blood sugar management.We swap 'Betes tips with or without the approval of our health care providers. We are soldiers on the front line of the diabetes wars, and the tools/weapons at our disposal are improving,year by year.(and yet,innocent people still are dying) We tell each other the stuff our families may get sick of hearing..there is always a listening,non-judgemental ear to hear us out. We give each other supplies (in hard times), because we care about each other. We see each other at our best, and at the worst, when the a1c is 6.0 and when it's 11.0. Cities on the map aren't just strange places anymore..they hold very awesome PWD(& those who support them ). We run marathons,write books,chase toddlers, climb mountains, pursue careers, & bolus that piece of chocolate cake into euroglycemic perfection.

Some might say I don't know you,& yet I say that I do. Thank you for being there.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

10 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

I love this. And am SO glad to know you.

Thank you!

k2 said...

Beautiful letter - I love it! And I am so glad and proud to know you and call you my friend & fellow D soldier!
Xoxo!
Kelly K~

Kim said...

Lovely. :)

Alecia said...

Wonderful!

Unknown said...

Beautiful. I assure I know many DOCers better than my neighbors, fellow PTA moms or even some new friends and I would likely do more for a DOCer than any of the above mentioned. Great post - just beautiful.
Cheers
@momof2t1s

NeurosurgeryNP said...

Awesome post. Love you k2.

Colleen said...

My favorite...
We tell each other the stuff our families may get sick of hearing..

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

:)

Minnesota Nice said...

Heidi, I met a TD friend for the first time a couple of months ago. We'd been talking about an hour and he said "Oh gee, I just remembered we'd never met in person". Magical.

The Mum said...

Hey ... I know you :)